MU/MQ Cross-Cultural Journalism

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Andrew's last

Well, here it is. The last one. It's hard to believe we're leaving tomorrow, right? I still don't think it will hit me until next week, when I wake up from one of my (many) naps. Yay, jetlag!

In so many ways, this month has been interesting. I agree with Amanda: I'm SO glad I took cross-cultural journalism down here. Of course, the location didn't hurt. But I had heard horror stories about this class. I thought, overall, our group held interesting, informed discussion. I think the course in Columbia could benefit from a similar seminar-style setup. From what I've heard, in J2000's current form, the course is too impersonal, too cold. Here, I felt I was part of the group; I felt engaged in the debate of the day. All around, nice job, folks! As with any course, the clash of differing perspectives made this "synthesis" possible. At times, I didn't agree with some of you. However, in the end, isn't this the point? Aren't we suppose to have our reason challenged? Aren't others supposed to question so we may begin to question ourselves? Interesting stuff ...

Let this final note serve as a public "thank you" to everyone. I had a blast. OK, so I didn't exactly have the world's toughest job, being the only guy amid all of you. But I enjoyed my position all the same. ;)

In all seriousness, I made friends who will last a lifetime. We shared a lot, ya know. It's only logical "Sydney" will occupy a special space in our minds. We will forever remember those mornings that came too early, those nights that didn't last long enough. All around, things turned out OK, right?

Cheers to us all. Safe travels and best wishes.

~Andrew Astleford
(See also: Andy, A-squared, The Tower, Lighthouse, "That guy with the different variations of funny" -- and my personal favorite, courtesy of Vinti -- Larry the Cucumber)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home